THE BLESSINGS OF OBEDIENCE

6 Nov

THE BLESSINGS OF OBEDIENCE

OBEDIENCE TO GOD is one of the major themes in the Old Testament.  God promised his people, through Moses, that they would receive a “blessing, if you obey the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you today” Deut.11:27).

God gives spouses the responsibility of praying for each other.  When we do that, we obey what God wants us to do and we call on Him to give our mates the strength it takes to walk and live in obedience.

James 5:16 says, “The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.”  Effective prayer is asking God to do what he already wants to do in your mate’s life.  God delights in answering such prayer, because He wants you to know Him, to see Him work, and to continue to come to Him.

Come before God’s throne on your mate’s behalf, requesting that he or she will know God’s love more fully and that God will develop a teachable, pure heart within him or her.  Pray for an increased desire to obey and follow Christ.  Ask God to give your mate a growing awareness of the benefits of walking with Him.  Ask, too, that faithfulness, contentment, patience, self-control, discipline and other godly virtues will be developed in the life of your loved one.

NOTE:  This article was taken from the book “Family Life and Marriage Bible” by Dennis and Barbara Rainey

NOTE:  Daily there is a new post to help your marriage succeed.

6 Responses to “THE BLESSINGS OF OBEDIENCE”

1. Ness November 6, 2011 at 4:44 pm #

Wow sis nancy this is the third time i heard “the blessings of obedience”! Friday nights preaching, yesterday from a preacher on tv, and your blog today! I read ur blogs everyday and I try my best to apply everything I learn and i know it all works! Keep it up 🙂

• nancysalazar November 6, 2011 at 6:42 pm #

Hi Ness! Thank you for your comment. Wow!! God really loves you sooo much! For him to teach you on obedience in three ways shows He wants to mature and develop you. That is a good thing. He doesn’t have to teach us anything but he does. He wants to give use wisdom and doesn’t want us to act in embarrassing ways. We are our children and He loves us. Keep up the good work!

2. L.Lopez November 6, 2011 at 5:25 pm #

Thank you for the reminder. I do pray for my husband but sometimes I get to the point where I’m kinda thinking I’m doing him a favor and not doing it out of obedience and reaping the benefits.
    I was reminded earlier today that when my marriage fell apart my husband didn’t have to come back. I was so focused on everything that he had done wrong, I failed to realize that I had made mistakes as well. I thanked God for my wonderful husband when God told me to and I served my husband when I felt so unjustly criticized, out of obedience. I now reap those benefits. My husband also humbled himself and asked for forgiveness out of obedience, not because he felt like it. It was out of obedience to Christ knowing we could trust Him, not ourselves.

• nancysalazar November 6, 2011 at 6:55 pm #

Hi L. Lopez! Thanks for your comment. Obedience is better than sacrifice. It is called obedience because it is usually having to do something we don’t want to do. The Apostle Paul says we have to die to ourselves and that is what obedience is. I feel like I am punching the enemy in the face when I do something that is pleasing to God. You will reap, reap, reap the blessings!

3. Dion November 7, 2011 at 7:38 am #

Mrs. Nancy,
    I will echo Ness’ comment in that i heard the speeches on “obedience” three times on Sunday. Joel Osteen mentioned it and Charles Stanley mentioned it. Seeing it on your blog is telling me that someone is trying to tell me something. And you know what…I will listen! My focus on God is really strong right now and I know He will make what’s wrong at this moment….right for the rest of my life. Thanks again.

• nancysalazar November 7, 2011 at 8:02 pm #

Hi Dion! Thanks for your comment. I am so happy you are doing good. You sound stronger now that you have gone through the trials. Trials should draw us closer to God and when they do, we end up where you are–in the arms of God. I am still praying for you and your marriage. Have a blessed day!